People have a way of judging write-ups differently based on their opinions and preferences. Such perception often comes as subjective. However, when a write-up such as a novel contains glaring spelling, format, and grammar errors, any opinion can get implied as an objective opinion or observation.
According to dissertation help service, as much as subjective observations differ from one individual to the next regarding a literary piece, standard criteria can always apply to novels and screenplays regardless of whether the author proves accomplished or a novice. So what constitutes these standard criteria that one can use when it comes to judging literary writing materials?
Judging a Good Writing from a Terrible One
- A good write-up will make you invest your time and emotion in the story. You probably have watched or read a film or novel respectively that had characters you did not care about. The implication of this entails a lack of any investment in that story, which always comes as a lack of care about the protagonist. One sure way of making the audience emotionally invested in your story entails incorporating elements that will appeal to their empathy in your story.
- Excellent writing will surprise you. It can only qualify as outstanding writing when it has a surprising storyline. It can be a disaster and very frustrating when you finish watching a film without getting surprised at all. A good write-up will have flipped tropes, clichés, and an expected plot transformed into an exciting output.
- Excellent writing will have vulnerable characters. Vulnerability plays a crucial role in a fantastic write-up. The protagonist and the villains or antagonist have to become weak in one way or another. It can include emotional and physical vulnerability, or at times, both. An example of vulnerable character illustrations consists of Terminator 2’s Sarah Connor.
- A write-up proves good when the story demonstrates more than what the story tells. It always fascinates to watch a story’s characters whenever they do not speak. It ever happens that plenty of people in the audience will prefer having a character smash a glass vase across the room in anger instead of hearing them say they are angry. Poor writing often incorporates endless expositions in a dialogue, which ignores the level of intelligence of the audience.
- It becomes excellent writing when the writer horns their craft. It is crucial to have everything fine-tuned, from the beginning to the end of the script. Most novice writers will have some of the segments excellent, but with the rest having plenty of mistakes. To write a great script, try and horn your craft. It will involve making mistakes along the way, but what matters is learning from mistakes and becoming better. So, write comprehensively and do not stop to market your work. So spend the first two years writing different stories to become an expert in writing.
Everyone can write and develop characters from one point to the next. However, an excellent writer needs to engage the audience and make them care about your story’s characters. So surprise the audience and have vulnerable characters that the audience will relate with.