Dog bites pose a serious health threat to our communities and society. In fact, as per the American Medical Association, the threat of dog bites is the second most leading reason for personal injury cases in children and lists at the top in accidents taking place in parks, playgrounds, sports fields, etc. Any dog can bite: big or small, male or female, young or old— if irritated, and even the toughest, dullest, sweetest pet can bite. Remember, it is not the breed of a dog that determines whether it bites, but the dog’s personal history and behavior, along with the kind of training they have gone through.
Here are more facts about dog bites in the USA:
1. One in 5 dogs requires medical attention for dog bites.
2. Children are the most vulnerable to dog bites and are more likely to be seriously injured.
3. Dog bites can occur even while performing daily activities or while interacting with familiar dogs.
Most dog bites can be prevented by following Dog advice, and there are many things you can do at home and in your community to help prevent dog bites. Let us know more about it in detail.
How to prevent dog bites?
1. Never approach an unfamiliar dog— always ask the dog owner for permission.
2. Do not pet a dog when it is eating, nursing puppies, or sleeping.
3. Keep a safe distance when a dog is barking or growling.
4. Dogs can exhibit certain body language, which indicates that they are uncomfortable and therefore prone to bite. These include a tense body, still tail, tongue movement, and intense gaze. Avoid a dog that displays this body language.
5. Do not approach a dog if it is loose, tied, or kept behind a fence.
6. Don’t pet a dog without allowing it to sniff you first.
7. If an unknown dog approaches you, do not bark or run away. Keep quiet; never turn away a dog that you think might be bitter.
8. Never tease, pinch, hit, stab or pull the dog’s tail.
9. Do not leave children unattended with pets.
Steps to take if a dog bites you
If you think a dog will attack you, there are several steps you can take to reduce your risk of being attacked as guided by personal injury attorney Lake Charles situated professional:
1. Sit quietly and calmly.
2. Keep your hands to the sides, remain motionless, and not make eye contact with the dog.
3. If the dog loses interest, go back slowly and disappear from the scene.
4. If a dog attacks, put a jacket, bag, bicycle, or other things between you and the dog.
5. Curl your body into a ball and cover your ears with your hand if the dog is hitting you.
What to do if you get injured with a dog bite?
If a dog bites you, take the following steps to protect your health and rights:
1. Immediately wash the wound with warm, soapy water.
2. Seek medical attention.
3. Report the incident to your local Animal Husbandry and control Department
4. Provide the agency with all information about the dog, including the owner’s name, contact information, and all other relevant details
5. Contact a dog bite lawyer to understand your legal options for recovering your injuries.
Some breeds are known for aggression. A dog can become aggressive if not properly socialized and trained. It is not right to label a breed as aggressive – instead, it is better to say that breeds need more experienced owners to provide adequate training to become good canine citizens.
Apart from the steps mentioned above, you can also contact personal injury attorney Lake Charles if you get bitten by another person’s pet dog. In such a scenario, the pet owner is liable for your medical bills and other losses. A good and experienced lawyer will help you with attaining justice and support you legally.
Vivek is a published author of Meidilight and a cofounder of Zestful Outreach Agency. He is passionate about helping webmaster to rank their keywords through good-quality website backlinks. In his spare time, he loves to swim and cycle. You can find him on Twitter and Linkedin.