Temporomandibular Joint disorder is a condition that affects your jaw joints and the muscles around them. Several causes of TMJ can happen in an individual, including trauma, accident, and arthritis. Moreover, TMJ patients can experience a lot of pain and discomfort while moving their jaw. Common symptoms include jaw tenderness, pain around the face, headaches, and ear pain. If you are suffering from any symptoms related to TMJ, immediately head to a hospital treating TMJ disorder in Los Gatos.
However, it is better to know your options beforehand. Depending on the type, there are two kinds of treatments available for TMJ, and they are:
- Nonsurgical TMJ treatments
Suppose the TMJ disorder is detected in you. In that case, your dentist might first recommend some nonsurgical options to treat your TMJ. usually. These therapies can work separately or in combination to provide aid from TMJ.
- Heating pads and ice packs – To relax the nerves around the affected area, apply a heating pad for some time and then do the jaw exercise advised by your doctor. After the activities, place an ice pack on your jaw for some time. Repeat this process 3-4 times a day.
- Consume food that is not very hard to chew- To maintain your jaw, consume soft foods like yogurt, fish, boiled vegetables, soup, cottage cheese, etc. Avoid having food difficult to chew like cereals, chips, pretzels, etc. Likewise, do not consume chewy food like taffy or caramel sweets.
- Consume medications- If you are suffering from TMJ, it is evident that you will suffer from acute pain. To ensure that the pain comes under control and does not cause much discomfort, take painkillers like ibuprofen, aspirin, or naproxen.
- Intensive TMJ treatments
There’s a chance that the conservative treatments might fail to heal your TMJ. in that case, your doctor will suggest you some other medicines like:
- TENS is a shock therapy in which low-intensity currents will be passed through your jaw to relax the muscles around it. TENS treatment can be accessible at home or the doctor’s clinic.
- Ultrasound is a treatment performed under the skin through laser. This treatment offers deep heath to the muscles to reduce soreness and improvise jaw treatment.
- Trigger point injection is a treatment that involves injecting pain relief or anesthetic into the soft muscles of your face.
Although TMJ is a self-curable disorder, it might take a long time to heal; so you should show it to a healthcare specialist to ensure that you get the correct treatment and do not suffer additional pain.
Also, Read More About – Tentex Forte Tablet Uses in Hindi