In the field of medicine, the term ‘surgery’ has a broad meaning. This is because it allows the doctors to explore further into the medical history of the patient after they are done with the basic diagnosis. A skillful doctor or a medical practitioner is a person that not only possesses expertise in the medical field but also cares about his/her patients and treats them with empathy.
There are a number of surgeries that can be performed on the human body, one of which is heart surgery. A heart specialist doctor in India or a cardiologist is a person that specializes in performing and treating heart-related issues. They are responsible for putting forward the information about the risk factors regarding heart diseases and educates the masses about the significance of heart health.
The purpose of heart surgery is to treat issues such as failure of the heart, blockage in any blood vessels, lower oxygen level due to heart valves, dilated aorta, and such. The reason people choose to have heart surgery operated on them is to repair those valves so the oxygen-rich blood gets a new opening to the heart; thus, preventing the patient from a heart attack.
Types Of Heart Surgeries
With new technologies getting introduced to the medical world, doctors around the globe are now able to perform and operate on their patients in a seamless way. It not only assures them a speedy operation but also guarantees positive results of the procedure. Here are a few ways how they perform heart surgery –
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting – A bypass surgery requires your healthy blood vessel to be cut from a part of your body and is joined to the heart valve to reinitiate the blood supply, which was otherwise blocked by the coronary artery. This is considered a relatively safe and promising surgery by most medics.
- Valve Repairment – Natural or artificial valves are interconnected to your heart that fights against valvular heart disease, upon an unexpected failure of one of the four heart valves.
- Inserting Artificial Pacemaker – There are times when the heart functions properly; however, it beats either too fast or too slow, with irregular heartbeats. This could be treated by inserting an artificial pacemaker that brings the heartbeat to a maintained rhythm and controls any possible irregularities.
Risks And Precautions Of Heart Surgery
After undergoing successful heart surgery, there are multiple risks associated with the operation that a patient should take care of. Since these surgeries majorly require cut-opening of the chest area, one of the major risks could be open-chest bleeding, or a case of infection if the wound is kept unattended for too long. Even after the operation, it is advised to keep the patient under heavy examination, since there is always a risk of internal bleeding or damage of tissues due to a high dosage of medicine/anesthesia.
There are numerous precautions that are required to be taken care of at the patient’s end too. Given the fact that the operation would be menacing, it is always suggested to keep yourself away from doing the following things-
- Any strenuous, physical activity that requires you to lift heavy articles such as machinery should be absolutely avoided.
- Avoiding sleeping on the chest-down side and restrict yourself to minimal walking.
- Refrain yourself from consuming junk food, spicy eatables and prefer light meals only.
- Do not let water touch the stitching area, cover it properly so there are no chances for a wound infection.
- Avoid consumption of alcohol, drugs, and cigarettes to fasten the healing process.
You can find expert assistance on such intricate issues by looking out for a heart specialist near me and book appointments for wellness solutions, healthcare assistance, transplants, and more.