Candidates preparing for the SBI PO exam need to use the right strategies to crack the exam easily. Candidates can check the exam dates, syllabus, and exam pattern on the official website. Candidates must have proper knowledge of the syllabus and exam pattern before they start preparing for it. Aspiring candidates can read this article to learn more about SBI PO preparation tips that can help them to crack the exam easily.
The selection process for the SBI PO exam is divided into three stages.
- First, candidates have to clear the preliminary exam
- Second, they have to clear the mains exam
- Third, they have to clear the interview
The prelims exam has only objective-type questions. There are a total of 100 questions and each question carries one mark. The time duration for the prelims is one hour and candidates should devote 20 minutes for each section. The mains exam consists of both objective and descriptive tests. The mains exam has a total of 155 questions and the time duration is 3 hours. The total marks for the mains exam are 200. The descriptive test is for 30 minutes and candidates have to write an essay and a letter.
First, we will discuss the preparation for the prelims exam.
Prelims exam: It is divided into three parts- English language which carries 30 questions of one mark each, Quantitative Aptitude carries 35 questions of one mark each, and Reasoning Ability consists of 35 questions of one mark each.
Reasoning Ability- Prelims
Candidates can score good marks in this section if they use the right techniques for preparation. In this section, logical questions are asked. Candidates should be aware of the important topics to cover for answering questions in this section. Important topics to be covered for this section include Coding-Decoding, Syllogism, Puzzles, Seating arrangement, etc.
Quantitative Aptitude- Prelims
It needs proper understanding. Candidates should revise important topics such as Average, Ratio and Proportion, Average, Time and Work, Speed and Distance, Number Series, Quadratic Equations, and Simplification. Candidates should do regular practice to get good marks in this section.
English language- Prelims
It is the easiest part of the exam. Candidates have to revise their basic grammar skills. They can improve their vocabulary by reading newspapers. Candidates can also check previous year’s papers to check the type of questions. This section includes questions on comprehension, spotting errors, Para jumbles, antonyms, and synonyms.
Preparation tips for SBI PO Mains
SBI PO mains exam is divided into four parts: Reasoning and Computer Aptitude which consists of 45 questions and carries 60 marks, Data Analysis, and Interpretation which consists of 35 questions and carries 60 marks, General awareness has 40 questions and carries 40 marks, and last is the English Language which contains 35 questions and carries 40 marks.
General Awareness- Mains
To prepare for this section, candidates have to read newspapers. They should read the daily newspaper to get acquainted with the latest news. They should be well aware of current affairs. They should focus on sports, the Indian constitution, marketing, awards and honors, agriculture, and the Indian economy to get good marks in this section. Candidates will get 40-50% questions based on current affairs. They can memorize the current affairs of the last 3 months to get good marks in this section.
Reasoning and Computer Aptitude- Mains
Candidates can follow the same tips as they do for the prelims exam to prepare for this section. For computer aptitude, candidates have to learn basic information about computer hardware and software. They can focus on basic topics, including operating system functions, MS office, internet knowledge, and basics of the network system.
Data Analysis and Interpretation- Mains
For this section also, candidates do not have to do any special preparation. It is the same as the Quantitative Aptitude for the Prelims.
English Language- Mains
Candidates have to prepare the same way as they do for the prelims for getting high marks in the English language. They have to go through the basic grammar rules to get good marks in this section. Candidates can improve their vocabulary by writing down the new words in a notebook. This means whenever they learn a new word, they can write it down in a notebook so that they can use it appropriately. Candidates can also read novels, articles, blogs, and advertisements to improve their writing skills. They can prepare from the Wren and Martin book for English grammar.
Candidates who succeed in clearing the mains exam will be selected for the group discussion and interview. The group discussion is for 20 marks and a personal interview is for 30 marks. The final merit list is prepared based on the combined score of SBI PO mains exam score and scores in group discussion and personal interview.
Important points to keep in mind
Candidates preparing for the SBI PO exam should keep the following points in their mind before they start their preparation:
- Make sure that they know the latest syllabus and exam pattern. They can check on the official website for any updates regarding the syllabus and pattern of the exam.
- They should make a timetable and plan for devoting as much time as possible. Following a routine and proper timetable will help candidates to remain organized and finish their syllabus in a stipulated time.
- They should remain consistent in their preparation. Regular practice and consistency are important for cracking any competitive exam.
- They should give the regular SBI PO free mock test to know the exam pattern and get an idea about their preparation. Mock tests will also help candidates to improve their speed and confidence.
- They should revise from previous year’s papers as some questions may be repeated. This also helps them to understand the pattern and the type of questions that are asked in the paper.
- They should know how to manage their time. They should focus on accuracy and speed. Candidates should only do the questions about which they are sure.
- Candidates who are weak in math should focus on calculation errors and should practice solving questions to improve their calculation errors.
Thus, candidates preparing for the SBI PO exam can follow the above-given tips to crack the exam and secure their future.